Sunday, June 6, 2010

Gypsy Caravan: The Good, the Bad and the Sweaty

Every year we debate about setting up for Gypsy Caravan, a flea market in St. Louis.  It's held annually on Memorial Day, rain or shine, and we decided to take the risk this year and get a booth.  It's been a week since the event, and there were a lot of great things about it, and a lot of not so great things.  Here's a breakdown of the reasons.

The Pros:
1.  We got to see lots of awesome local artists and store owners.

Adonna and Jan from Old Barn Rescue Co. We sell their cool, handmade signs and windows in our store.

My mom, Angie, with Sue Lombardo, owner of Recycled Rose, a wonderful gardeny, vintage shop.


2.  We had a lot of fun setting up a pretty booth
(Aimee and Susan trying to figure out where to keep our purses)
(T-Shirts designed by Susan from Knollwood Lane hung on our tent posts)
(I think Aimee is setting up jewelry)
(We put these wonderful teal chairs in the front of the booth.  They both sold.)
(More Knollwood Lane onesies, totes, and towels)

3.  We got to see lots of our favorite customers and meet some new ones.
(People shopping in our booth)

(We got pretty busy right around 9:00)
(There were 2 levels and as you can see, both were pretty packed)

4. We had fun joking around with each other
                         (My mom and Aimee setting up jewelry and probably laughing the entire time)

5. We got interviewed by Heidi Glaus on Channel 5-Watch the story.  She was so nice and does a great job of making people feel comfortable on camera. 

While the event was mostly fun, there were a couple of cons:

1. THE HEAT!  It was so humid and sunny and our booth was on an asphalt parking lot.  We were sweating like pigs all day!
(This is me, Lindsay, with a cold towel on my head and a snowcone, trying to cool off.  Susan saved the day by bringing towels that had been in the freezer.  I don't think I would have made it without them)

2. We were a little disappointed with the quality of the goods being sold.  I know, it sounds kind of mean, but a lot of the booths were kinda junky or overpriced.  Every year, people talk about how great Gypsy Caravan used to be when it was downtown and I think we have to agree.

Overall, we're glad we went, but not sure if we'll do it again.  It's a lot of work!

Have any stories from Gypsy Caravan?  Please leave a comment and share your experiences!



3 comments:

  1. I had a blast with Lindsay, Aimee and Angie - almost made the horrendous humidity worth it! Got in the giggles a few times and met some wonderful people and saw some really strange people. We even brought a bit of the caravan back to the shop - when Lindsay was unpacking she discovered some nacho chili caked onto a knollwoodlane pendant - ask for a discount! Next year, I vote on enjoying the holiday by the pool! Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, chickie, I sees you checking out my man smokin 2 cigs at once! Keep yer eyes to yerself!

    - toothless in st. louis

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year, I found out about you guys at The Caravan! Your booth was stunning and I was SO inspired!
    I also have some of the same issues with Gypsy as you did though! I felt like it could have been on an earlier date than Memorial Day - it was SO hot. That would deter a lot of people from visiting next year. And talk about overpriced!! I know some booths made a killing on this fact, but come on! I liked that there were SO many unique booths though.
    Take Care!
    www.HappySolez.com

    ReplyDelete